For an experiment I put the 8" Definitive Technology sub out in the shop to see what it would add. After some adjustment to the x-over (60)and finding the sweet spot for the sub, I was sure I had to have one for the shop. It really completes the package.
I had 4 subs on my list of possibilities.
The three above and a HSU, which is very very close to the Outlaw sub. Maybe even the same inside?? I went with the JBL ES250PW because of the price, only 200 bucks, it's a refurbished unit from the harmon. I am sure it is nowhere near the Outlaw or HSU for sound and quality.
It took more adjusting of the x-overs on both the sub and 970. I set it at 100 on the 970 and 60-70 on the sub with the power at the 1 o-colock position. it blends in better than the 8". I can also hear the 12" sub every where in the shop and I cant say the same for the 8".
I am lovin it. Someday will upgrade to 990 if / when the 970 dies. The 990 has better DAC but the 970 is no slouch. I love it.
When I was a kid in the 60's, the radio was my toy. Silver plastic, 9 volt heart. It still is today.

Outlaw 970 or 990
(2) NAD C-272 amps
Sony (ES) SACD Player
(4) JBL 29Av-1 Speakers
JBL ES250PWCH 12" Sub
Dell GX620.
Asus sound card Optical out.