Quote:
Originally posted by neuroaudio:
I once read a test of the Infrasub 18 that claimed the harmonic distortion at the low end was as much as 10%. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. :-( Compared to servo-controlled subs that can be < 1%, it's a pretty big difference. However, it's not clear to me that most people find some amount of distortion on very low end sounds subjectively unpleasant.

I've only heard Bag End gear in professional (i.e. club) settings, and I generally thought the base sounded pretty good.

THD is primarily directed at uneducated consumers who "shop the numbers". These are the folks who look at a composite table of gear, and trail their fingers down a column looking for the one with the most watts or the least THD or the highest resolution.

It's easy, but very misleading. A lot of products can have very good-looking numbers, but be crap. For instance, my old Pioneer receiver (now owned by my girlfriend) has a better advertised THD number than my Lexicon MC-12. Care to guess which sounds better?

A former coworker of mine was looking to buy a television. He insisted on looking only at the resolutions supported and ignoring all of my advice on the subject. I can only hope he chanced upon a decent set anyway.

Jeff