Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Quote:
On playback of DD EX material, or DTS ES material, my 5.1 setup (speakers set to NONE for the surround back channels) locks on to the EX or ES signal, but does not drop back down to standard DD or DTS.
This is not a bug, I don't believe. Flagged Dolby EX soundtracks must be decoded in Dolby EX (Dolby requires it), but in cases where no rear surrounds are present the receiver's EX mode knows not to steer any data there. Similarly, DTS ES Discrete tracks such as Gladiator actually contain a discrete rear surround channel, so ES must be used with 5.1 systems to decode the channel and mix it into the side surrounds.
Honestly, I don't know. That's why I said, 'may'. :p

All the other processors I've owned in the past (integrated A/V and the like) would step back down to DD or DTS when it recognized an EX or ES flag, since I never set up the 6th and 7th channels. (I understand that it's actually only one channel though)

I'll just call Scott later today and see what his take on it is.

[eta:

I wanted to add, from what you've posted, it seems that you're implying that the rear surround channel in DD is just an extension of the surround channels? So far as I've always read, even according to the Dolby website, it is an extra channel of audio (meaning distinct) just the same as DTS's 6th channel being discrete.

I also don't quite get what you mean when you say, "...so ES must be used with 5.1 systems to decode the channel and mix it into the side surrounds." Can you elaborate/reword this?

:end edit]

E.