Crap.

Well, that didn't take long.

I just started the unit, from a cold cold start, and there was nothing.

Prior to operation (attempted) just now, the unit was last used last night. The T533 played a CD (Enigma, MCMXC a.D.) last night, through the CD input (always on Analog, using Bypass) on the 970, with sleep set to 60 minutes. Both units played to end, and the 970 powered down on it's own.

Ambient temperatures for the units sat around 65 deg F all day today, with no operation at all, all day long.

I began tonight by powering up the NAD. After opening the tray, and inserting the CD, then closing it, the CD (Maroon5, Acoustic) had already started spinning up and playing track one as the 970 came online.

Once I saw the welcome message disappear, I powered on the amp.

I went to adjust the volume (I have it default to power on volume of -50db) and the knob did NOTHING. I thought, that's strange. I clicked the menu button on the front panel, to see if the front panel had died on me. The menu came up, and I clicked it again to make it go away. The CD Analog Bypass display returned, but the indicated volume had now changed. (higher, since I had turned it up a bit)

I thought this was even stranger. I then attempted to adjust the volume again via the front panel knob, but the display did not change. Pressing the volume up or down on the remote did nothing either. I then pressed the mute button on the front panel. The display changed to MUTE. I pressed again to release it, and the new indicated volume appeared.

I powered the unit off from the front panel, and then back on after a second. The situation was the same. (front panel knob adjustments did nothing to indicated display)

I powered it off again (2nd time) and back on with the remote. Because I programmed Video 1 (arbitrarily) into the remote as the power on button, it switched over to that source, and enabled Dolby Digital. With no actual input source, I just switched it back to CD, which defaults as analog bypass. STILL no sound!

I switched to DVD, which was set to Dolby Digital, (fed via digital coax from the T533 into coax 1) but there was no sound. I then pressed the Dolby mode button, but it didn't seem to respond. (trying to get it to just digital stereo mode)

I decided to power off the unit AGAIN (front panel), but waited a few seconds before powering on again. (front panel)

At this time, the DVD input which was last selected began processing audio. The mode had changed apparently due to my dolby mode button pressing, and was finally now in digital stereo. The volume (front panel) became active, and adjustments were acknowledged within a half second or so as before this incident.

I switched back to CD, and audio was coming through the analog bypass no problems.

All functionality had seemed to return at this point.

Thoughts:

This is definitely a processor boot related incident this time. I'd not think it an 'audio lock on' issue, since, the prior input that it powered up to was CD, in analog bypass mode no less, (switch on back panel is set to bypass also for bass management) so there should have been ZERO processor logic analysis at that point.

Did the lower than typical ambient temperature have anything to do with it? I don't know. It's been known that some transistor circuits don't operate when not in the right temperature range. But that's usually EXTREME ranges, like -60deg F or something insane. 'Chilled' room temperature should not be a reason for transistor processing error.

For the record, the Satellite tuner was 'off'. (but as some have noted, this unit outputs a digital audio 'dead' signal even when it's in standby mode; or at least it does on the fiber (glowing) channel; since I'm running coax, I can't be sure if it is) This coax was fed into coax 2. (but was never selected as a source during this event)

The HD Monitor was also off, but I don't see how that would influence anything since the only connection between that and the 970 is the component output wires on the 970's monitor out.

All inputs have 'auto poll' turned OFF, since I either am using a digital input only for a device, or the analog for the CD bypass input. I do not 'mix' input types on any input.

So, there you have it. My first wonderful 'no audio'.

Now that I'm unable to be foolishly optimistic that my unit is flawless, I will keep a notepad near the machine and document each and every step and it's results meticulously if this happens again.

Looks like it was a good thing I played devil's advocate and ordered that serial cable early this week 'just in case'.

It should be here later this week; if this occurs again, I'll most certainly be seeking a flash the firmware' session this coming weekend.

E.