Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
ACtually, that sounds pretty close to the THX standard for 7.1 analog connections. The THX standard is red for the right channel, white for left, green for center, purple for subwoofer, silver for right surround, blue for left surround, yellow for right surround back, and brown for left surround back.
This very well may be; I've never bought THX dedicated wiring, so this may be an issue of ignorance on my part. If this was the goal though, given you described the more traditional colors that are used for THX, it would have been nice for them to line up that way, then. Either way, this is really REALLY trivial (even I'm willing to admit it) so it's nothing of concern that requires correction; it's just something I wanted others to be aware of so they weren't surprised like I was.

Quote:
That is exactly what happened, and short of doing it with a learning-capable remote (such as the Model 950's SL-9000) it's about all that a company the size of Outlaw can do - designing their own remote would be pricey. On the bright side, they went to UEI for the remote, and UEI's remote code database is one of the biggest around. No remote code database is perfect, of course, but there are some codes that will with with the remote that aren't in the manual - check out HiFi Remote for more codes. I can't guarantee that you'll find codes that work for you, but it's worth a try.
Thanks, Gonk. I'll have to give that a whirl and see what I come up with. At this point, I have the functionality I need from the HTR-2, so it's not a huge loss to me. And in point, I really don't hold Outlaw at fault; it's like you describe, for the size of their organization, and the price point targeted, it'd be impossible to do a true learning remote. As I said, it 'works'. I don't hold it to any fault. I just can't praise it either. smile

Quote:
It's entirely possible (in fact quite likely) that your 970 was shipped from the factory with older firmware - 990's were shipping this way for some time, and may still be. It could even simply be a different firmware number for some other reason (I've seen that some with OPPO's DVD players, for example). They may also have not installed a beta firmware. If you call them Monday about the IR, they can give you the scoop on that as well.
That's what I'd like to know for sure. If the need arises, I'll go buy a serial cable and dust off and hook up my ancient Thinkpad to the unit to flash the firmware. I just want to know for sure before I go and do it, since a few people have exhibited 'worse AFTER the flash' experiences according to thread posts here in the forum.

After the all night spinning, and a few hours of near reference level play (-13db or so), I'm pleased to say the sonics are beginning to shape out. I'm getting midrange transitions and miniscule details back. I'm still missing some mid-low transitions, making it seem like piano and string bass notes 'appear' and then consequently 'disappear' without much reverb fade. (not pronounced synthetic reverb, but that which naturally resonates off a vibrating string/cable that you'd hear) I expect it to round out shortly as well, so I'll post when that happens. (or if it does not)

Still perplexed why IR passthrough is dead. confused It seems like such a simple thing to implement.

Still welcoming anyone's thoughts. smile

E.