answer to Q #3: if your ICBM is placed between the player and the preamp, then yes. you may, however, need a seperate preamp to boost the LFE signal from your player to your sub's amp.

adjustment of LFE volume separately is not that big a problem (actually, it's a good thing to be able to balance the levels properly, which you'll learn to do as you experiment). i do it regularly. my LFE preamp is set next to the player. i simply set the volume for each disc when i load the disc.

remember, this will only work with dvd-a/sacd. unfortunately, the player will output the LFE through both the analog SW out AND the digital out. this means you'll get LFE into the 950 when in digital modes along with LFE into the 3rd sub.

obviously, LFE summed with RB 'works'. it just doesn't work as good.

try the setup described in your Q #3 with 1 sub as a dedicated LFE sub and the other one as a redirected bass sub.

also remember that the added 'oomph' will still be there as multi-channel audio discs use the LFE channel (by and large) for that purpose. you'll still get the same signal into the 2 subs almost always. you'll just get full use of the LFE channel AND best reintegration of RB.

the ICBM has a glogal LP of 150 hz on the LFE channel, so try that first (disable your sub's x-over). i use a 2-way x-over on my LFE system, with selectable x-over points. it works great for a full range 6th channel as some sacd discs warrant it, and looking toward the future.

dial the RB sub to best integrate it with your sats. try 80 hz for all sats first, then venture from there as your sats permit.

wherever the 2 subs are placed, make sure they are both precisely the same distance to your ears.

this is a convoluted work-around, i agree. i also await the new outlaw having a dedicated LFE output.

finally, the discrete LFE assumes a good music sub and a good LFE sub are in the system, with proper phase, levels, x-overs, slopes, etc. no setup will make a poor system sound good. experiment. it's worth it.