fwiw, i'll give it a (cursory) stab...

bass enhance is a process that uncorrelates, or decorrelates a correlated LF signal by applying a constant phase shift (i'm guessing quadrature, but i simply don't know the degree value) to the signal in each of 2 channels. this serves to add a spatial psychoacoustic quality to some source material in some rooms.

hologram generation applies a fixed time delay to each of 2 signals and routes each to the opposite speaker (actually adding crosstalk).

though 1 widens an already psycoacoutically spread sonic image and the other widens a psycoacoustically narrowed sonic image, the end result with both processes is that the signals are delayed as to arrival time to the ear from 2 sources in a controlled manner to give the illusion of a wider or deeper or more 'live' source. in fact, someone with the inclination should try a C-9 with stereo subs...it may even work better, as bass enhance lessens bass output.

as for documentation of the success of bass enhance, i read evey post i could find using "bass enhance" in the SMR search engine when i heard of the feature a while back. there were numerous posts with words like 'exasperating', 'my back is killing me from moving these subs', 'very source dependent', 'not everyone likes it', 'doesn't work in every room' 'doesn't seem to track as well as...', etc., etc. this, to me, is far from resounding success.

i apologize for any undue 'boldness' i may have conveyed in my posts. i assure you, i meant none. i find it difficult to express myself with only a typewriter as the means. i've read many of your posts, here and otherwise, and have always found them to be accurate and helpful.

i've been a fan of dr. g and lexicon for years. as he puts it, he was dragged kicking and screaming from the pro side to the consumer side. i don't think it's that lexicon isn't interested in influencing the industry with it's unique properties. i also don't think they haven't tried. (logic 7 as an encoded format comes to mind). in the case of the merits of a separate LFE output, i honestly believe that it was born of a way to increase the effectiveness of bass enhance, and lex really hasn't explored the many other benefits. i could be wrong, that's why i used the word 'maybe'. in re-reading it, i can easily see how it may have been mistaken to be flip or condescending. again...apologies.

to me, logic 7, DPLII, bass enhance, sonic holography, etc., impede the progress of discrete, multi-channel audio. that would mean i'm not a fan. i know you like these modes, so...i'm apologizing in advance for any future dumb ways i may convey my thoughts.