Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:
to clarify, it's interaural crosstalk cancellation. 'crosstalk cancellation' implies that there is something wrong with your equipment that needs corrected.
I was using the term 'crosstalk cancellation' in the same exact way that both Brockhouse and Carver himself were using in the interview I cited. Maybe they were implying that there was something wrong with Carver's "equipment that needs corrected"?
Quote:
i think that if it's all you think it is, the manual might have given the subject a bit more ink than the paragraph that 'covers' the subject.
The manual is probably the wrong place to look for a thorough explanation of Bass Enhance; after all, it doesn't give much "ink" to how LOGIC7 works either. To be fair, it is just an operational manual (with a lot of ground to cover) rather than a 'theory and design' white paper.

Since you claim that Bass Enhance is "taking a page from bob carver's holograph generator", then could you please provide some documentation that shows where BE generates interaural crosstalk cancellation signals as part of its process?
Quote:
soundhound's original post describes a method to best reproduce a stereo mic'ed bass signal. i agree with that method, and any method that best plays back the original content. bass enhance seeks to alter a studio mix of direct-injected bass so that it sounds more like a live recording...not my preference.
Yes, Bass Enhance is simply a post processing option specifically for situations where the you don't have the type of recorded bass that soundhound's original post described. It's like Pro Logic II: many people prefer not to use it, especially at a time when more and more discrete multi-channel recordings are being released (movies and music). However, this misses the point that PL II is an option specifically for situations where you don't have a discrete multi-channel source.

Ultimately it does come down to personal preference; some people like the effect, others don't.
Quote:
the subject is reproduction of stereo bass, not post production creation of stereo bass. thus, my comments.
Understood. As I said before, I have no argument one way or the other with your position on the subject of stereo bass reproduction. I was simply responding to particular comments, such as your accusation that "dr. 'G' spent too much time developing bass enhance." Nothing personal, but I felt that bold statements like that needed addressing.
Quote:
bass enhance is well enough documented by it's owners to convince me of it's limited success.
What documentation discusses the relative success (or lack there of) of the Bass Enhance process?
Quote:
to imply that it is not at all placement critical is incorrect.
Which is why I never implied that it was "not at all" placement critical. However, not everything affects Bass Enhance equally. While it varies by situation, in most cases BE is more dependent on the original recording and listening room than critical placement of subwoofers.
Quote:
lexicon is at the top of the heap, worldwide, in the field of reverb and delay processing on the production side. you underestimate their clout. certainly, at least, they have as much clout as apogee's rich elen.
I'll defer to your better knowledge of Lexicon's industry clout. In which case, their inaction implies that the matter has little to no interest for them.
Quote:
soundhound has said that he would prefer multi-channel audio be produced in a 5.0 format. that makes more sense to me than to say summing the .1 channel with redirected bass is perfectly fine. THAT makes no sense whatsoever.
It makes sense to me because, in the artificial construct of home audio playback, compromises sometimes have to be made. Most consumer audio systems don't have a dedicated LFE subwoofer that can afford to sit idle when no discrete .1 channel is present. Sorry, that's the real world. In those situations I welcome the option to sum LFE content with redirected bass; especially where I retain independent control of the LFE and the redirected bass.

Whether it makes sense to you or not, I prefer having these options now rather than waiting in hopes that the industry will someday adopt some sort of discrete LFE system.

Best,
Sanjay

[This message has been edited by sdurani (edited April 21, 2003).]