Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
Quote:

[QUOTE][b]dr. 'G' spent too much time developing bass enhance and overlooked the fact that the key to correct multi-channel audio bass is a DISCRETE LFE SYSTEM.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What does a process to externalize bass perception have to do with a discrete Low Frequency Effects track? Both co-exist quite well in Lexicon processors and aren't at odds with each other, either conceptually or in practical implimentation.

Best,
Sanjay[/B]

this is from the sited FAQ article:

"You might be tempted to use only 2 subs-one at each side-and eliminate the third LFE sub, since Bass Enhance will route LF to the sides. Be aware, however, that this strategy entails the following limitations:

...In 5.1 recordings, you will lose the LFE channel since it is not used in Bass Enhance processing..."

so...please tell me what i'm missing here?

also from the same article: "...Bass Enhance processing is predicated on those[laterally placed subs] being located to each side of the listener. It never hurts to experiment, but moving the side speakers fprward or backward more than 15 degrees (1-2 feet) will likely compromise the effect past the point where it's beneficial to use it."

as far as the over simplified explanation of carver's holograph generator, which is not crosstalk cancellation (as well as the limited explanation of dr. G's bass enhance process), my understanding of the 2 systems pinpoints the arrival times of sound from 2 sources as the basis for both.

whether or not you use phase, crosstalk or split signal/delay, you are doing basically the same thing, which is psycoacoustic processing using time-arrival manipulation.

dr. G admits that the process is very room-dependent, but offers no explanation as to why that is so. i've offered one for you...placement of speaker systems and ears is critical. you may feel free to prove me wrong.

bass enhance (which only works with a center-placed LF signal, and not with the stereo-recorded bass as described in the beginning of the thread, and is nothing more than an alteration of the source to change it to suit a particular whim...and not with very much success at that) is of little significance to me. therefore, i have no desire to purchase the white paper to fully understand the process.

my position on the importance of having a discrete LFE system to multi-channel audio is the result of many hours of research.

lexicon mentions 1 advantage in the manual, stating that the "more demanding LFE is separated from the 'crossed over' bass", allowing for 'smaller' subs to be adequate. (BTW, this in itself is reason enough for all pre-pros to offer a discrete LFE output with it's own processing options). the 2nd advantage they list is that of being able to level adjust the LFE separately from redirected bass.

unfortunately, they haven't explored the other numerous advantages (or if they have, they haven't made them public), such as arriving at production and labeling standards, as well as better reproduction options.

[This message has been edited by bossobass (edited April 20, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by bossobass (edited April 21, 2003).]