Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:

Second, I appreciate this bit of knowledge, assuming I interpreted SH correctly: I don’t have to worry about mixing the LFE with either or both of the R and L stereo, because the LFE will not contain the same audio information, either in or out of phase, as either the L or R … correct?

in stereo, of course, there is no LFE, so the following concerns multi-channel audio only:

it's not whether you have to worry about mixing LFE to either FR or FL. the mono LFE channel is automatically mixed into them both equally in this configuration which definitely erases the stereo effect. your only option to avoid this is listed below.

"...because the LFE will not contain the same audio information...as either the L or R..."

this is incorrect. almost ALWAYS, when there is LFE signal, it is the same signal as that sent to the L and R.

phase problems MAY occur, not from the source, but either in the filters used (there are 2 high pass filters on the FL/FR woofers, 1 is passive and 1 is active. there are 2 LP filters used for summed redirected bass/LFE, 1 digital and 1 active and there is a global 120 hz digital LP on the LFE), and/or lobing effect caused by the distances from FL/FR vs from the 2 subs. (distances being measured from the voice coils).

because any speaker set to 'small' will have it's bass summed in a summing block before it's sent to the FL and FR, it's my opinion, in multi-channel modes, the only way to preserve stereo bass through subs is to set all speakers to 'large' and use a 3rd sub for dedicated LFE. this avoids any sort of summing, which degrades the stereo effect and, reduces intermod distortion, which occurs any time 2 inharmonic tones are sent to 1 speaker to be reproduced.