Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:

Second, I appreciate this bit of knowledge, assuming I interpreted SH correctly: I don’t have to worry about mixing the LFE with either or both of the R and L stereo, because the LFE will not contain the same audio information, either in or out of phase, as either the L or R … correct?

By and large, you are correct. Very occasionally, on music there will be a low-passed "copy" of the lowest octaves of the orchestra routed to the LFE channel, in order to augment the mains. However, this information will always be in polarity with the same information from the mains. If it isn't, somebody screwed up somewhere In no instance will there be bass in the LFE (with music) that is not also in the mains.

You're right about the bass drum example. A sub needs good integration with the mains in order to present the sound event without corruption in it's harmonic structure. This is why one benefit of stereo subs comes from the fact that each main channel has it's associated subwoofer as close as possible to it. A coherent sound front relies on placement of the drivers.