smithy,

I've been struggling with the update all evening long - and here's what I know so far.

Because I don't have a portable with an RS232, I have tried using two different devices which I have.

The first is a PCMCIA RS232C Serial Port - from which I can connect an RS232 cable direct to the SMS-1.

The second is a USB to Serial Converter (note this is not a simple cable with USB on one end and RS232 on the other - it has electronics built into the RS232 end.)

In both cases I went through an installation process (my portable detected new hardware) - and used the CD that came with those products to complete the installation.

In the case of the converter I installed in on two different portables. For some reason once connected to the SMS-1 it did not work with the first one. Something about a port not being recognized. Trying other ports from the drop down menu was no help.

So I tried the second portable and the installation sort of seemed to work - at least it said it was successful. However when I fired up the SMS-1 it was still showing the old version (2.1) I confirmed this with the minimum 15 Hz crossover setting.

I tried again using the PCMCIA approach. With the exact same result.

I tried it with both the version 2.1.3 software that I got from the Outlaw site, and with the version 2.1.4 from Velo's site.

Same result: still stuck with 2.1 and 15 Hz crossover.

This is surprising since I'm sure I did a successful upgrade way back when I first bought the unit. At least that why I think I own the PCMCIA card in the first place.

If anyone's had recent experience with either software version upgrades I'm love to hear about it.

Meanwhile I think the very old PC that I use as a print server (but which is running XP) has actual RS232 serial ports on it. I just might bring the SMS-1 to it and try the update through a genuine serial port connection.