yeah...but it's way more fun to watch a 12" driver with a 30mm x-max push that amount of air.

i followed you up to the 'practical' part. the wife don't think it's very practical to have "those 2 ugly refrigerators" in the room. and, a good 18" driver ain't cheap.

i've been working on some 12" sealed, eq'd, adjustable Q, 2k watt, 1 cu ft subs. a lot of state of the art technology is required (the driver, small 2kw amp with no heat sink, power supply, battleship tight box, etc.), but it is available these days.

most people use those fast, tight, musical types of words but, the word really is overdamped. thus the adjustable 'Q' circuit. damp it to your liking. this, BTW, is where the discrete LFE comes in. 1 sub slightly underdamped, for effects, and the other, slighly overdamped, for music.

the advantages of the sealed design over the ported are better group delay, less critical box dimensioning, no port to make noise and smaller size. the price is gobs of power, a truly amazing driver and a very cool piece of hardware for mistake-free design of the precision eq.

my 18's have a 6mm x-max, the 12's are 30mm. at very low hz, the 12's are MOVIN'. the 18's movement is hard to notice, by comparison.

i'll miss one thing. the 4 ports are each aimed directly at the listening position. i like to set an unsuspecting friend up with a demo scene that has a sudden explosion type of low freq transient. a second later, the blast of air hits him right in the face. they always duck, as if they are under attack.-->fun<-- and it demonstrates how much air has to be moved to reproduce that kind of tone at that spl.

SH is dead-on correct with everything he said. velo's HGS-18 attests to it. plus...four 18 inch drivers for 60 hz and below....ya gotta love this guy. 120db at 16 hz....and you say MY system is miscalibrated?? 106 db, 1w-1m...gonna take more than 5 watts to equal THAT bass.