DB: after reading your post, i decided to read the info (which i never do) that came with this version of LOTR.

i have the 4 disc 'special extended edition' version. it has only DD-EX and DTS-ES versions. inside the booklet, it says:

"...rather than simply inserting deleted scenes, jackson approached this extended edition as if he were creating a whole new version of the film. he and the editor...worked to bring each scene up to the same polish as the rest of the feature-visual effects were completed, dialogue was recorded and sound effects were created. to make sure the scenes flowed, howard shore composed and recorded a new score with the london philharmonic..."

so, now i'm wondering how much this soundtrack is different than the DD/DTS version. i'll rent the disc this weekend and see what's up.

i hate 'the making of' discs. they have really bogus info (i care less how the visual effects were accomplished...actually hurts the film, to me) and they NEVER show the mixing and/or how the sound effects were produced. SH, you should protest.

i guess no one else can comment, as the 950 isn't outputting the LFE of the DTS-ES version.