I have a similar setup question as ted b. I am trying to use my LFM-1 with my Bel Canto PRe3 as well as with my Onkyo 805. It has been suggested that the SMS-1 would be a good choice.

The one problem I see is that the PRe3 when in HT Bypass mode has to be powered on for use when using my system in HT mode with the 805. Now I have the R&L preouts of the 805 connected to the #5 input of the PRe3 (the HT Bypass input) then the R&L preouts of the PRe3 to my amp. I see in gonk's earlier post that one of the pre amp or processor has to be powered off.

In order to connect the PRe3 to the SMS-1 I would use the XLR output of the PRe3 to the XLR input of the SMS-1. Then I would connect the LFE output (RCA) from the 805 to the LFE (RCA) input of the SMS-1.

The issue I see is that when in HT mode feeding the SMS-1 a signal from my 805 (LFE output) and also from the PRe3 that the SMS-1 will be seeing R&L signal from the 805 through the PRe3. The reason I think it will be a problem is that both the PRe3 outputs are active at the same time.

Now would this work if just used the R&L output of the PRe3 to the SMS-1 and then feed my amp through the SMS-1 and eliminate the LFE output from the 805? This way using the SMS-1 to set all x-over and sub level settings?

My apologies for the confusing post but I am trying to use a sub when listening to 2CH music with my PRe3. When using my system in 2CH mode the 805 is powered of if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Bill