Music vs Movie Soundtrack

SH, your insight on the production of the movie soundtrack is enlightening because I was with Bosso on this. I also thought that music bass and sound effect bass would interfere with each other. The soundtracks and the systems most of us run are made for each other and I'm glad someone else is responsible for making sure sound effects, music and dialog are perfect in the mix. Bosso, have you tried LOTR DD release along with the DTS release? There appears to be a big difference between the two and the DTS is actually quieter wrt LFE. There must have been some tweaking between theatrical release and the subsequent DVD releases.

It'll be a long while before multichannel music mixing and production settle down. Until then, there'll always be a tweak we need to perform before settling down with a nice DVD-A or SACD.

To be a little more on topic; I find it interesting that you both use 18 inch subs. Have either of you tried 15s or direct radiating 2-10s? I ask because 18s need an awful lot of help from other speakers to be musical. Sure, they are rock solid on the fundamentals but they are lacking on the harmonics that give the low E on a bass and the thump of a bass drum their character. I wonder if stereo or dual mono 18s can truly have the effect you guys describe on properly recorded music or is it the speakers that are handling the low midrange and higher. I would think that to get the stereo/delay effect in the bass from the original recording, you'd need a large enough room.

I have a pair of 18s that I use for my band's PA but I wouldn't use them for my bass guitar. Maybe I'll try to get my family out of the house for awhile and set up the 18s and my 210s. Now where did I put that hand truck?