my system consists of a separate preamp, crossover (LP/HP, for full range use of the .1 channel), slope selection, delay and 360 degree phase control, (designed in consultation with and built by phil marchand) a pro sound amp and 1-18", 10 cu. ft. speaker for LFE only, which is taken directly from the player.

the 950, through the SW output sends only redirected bass to another pro amp and 18" sub. the 950 handles the LP for redirected bass.

when i play LOTR for whomever is there, (i don't have the LFE bug, because i get LFE from the player) they always are very impressed with the insane bass levels.

i, however, cringe as i watch the clip indicators (both the preamp's and amp's) as they flash red. i don't know what the engineers took into account, but this disc has everything the format can muster.

now, imagine it's summed with the bass from 5 channels into the average plate-amp-powered 12" sub, without the built-in limiters those products use. it would not survive.

and, what happens to the music that's playing while the LFE plays? i can switch from discrete, 2 subs, to summed, 1 sub...on-the-fly. the difference is dramatic.

it's even more dramatic a difference when playing sacd multi-channel. i can use different LP points, slopes and volume to dial each disc's LFE content without effecting the redirected bass, which belongs to the 5 channels it was derived from and requires different LP point/slope/volume. you only need to hear the difference and draw your own conclusions. like you say above...just try it. you hear a difference and like it, keep it. if not, switch back.

my phase concerns don't center on the source, but the processing and playback of it. a subject that i'll address when it's not so late.

soundhound...thanx for everything.