I have recently purchased an SMS-1 to use with my Anthem AVM 30 and have a few questions/comments.

My system consists of the following :
- Anthem AVM 30
- Sherbourn 7/2100
- Velodyne SMS-1
- Rocket speakers (760s, 550 IIs, 200, ELTs - 7.1)
- Rocket Sub UFW-10 x 2
- Samsung 941 DVD (SACD/DVD-A)

blah, blah, blah.... and a bunch more stuff not related to this discussion, you get the idea.

Anyway, I currently have an SMS connected to the two RCA sub outs from the Anthem and I then run a stereo RCA cable to the two Rocket Subs, split each with a Y cabel at the sub end. This works, but I wanted to run a single XLR out of the Anthem into the SMS and then the XLR and RCA outs to the subs. AVS'rs seem to think this XLR/RCA output combo will be fine. Any thoughts here?

Prior to the SMS, I ran dual subs using XLR outs. I added the SMS and using the RCA outs, I now have a ground hum. So I need to find and correct that, for now I have lifted the ground to the subs. Does anyone make an XLR Y cabel? This may solve my ground loop hum.

On the Anthem, I have the XO set to 80 for Cinema mode. On the SMS, I have it also set to 80. I have read about defeating the SMS XO and only use the one in the pre. I tried this with less than favorable results. I can get a flat respone with both set to 80. Anyone have better results turning off the SMS XO?

For Music, I run the Anthem in Music mode with XO at 50, Center=none, Rears=none, sub = 2 Super - All Ch Stereo. So, front mains, side surrounds, & Subs. XO at 50 gives me more full range from the mains/sides, XO 50 gives me some Sub action for music playback. I notice that with this setup I cannot get as flat a curve over the XO 80 on Cinema. I guess this is because the Mains are kicking in at 50 and not controled by the SMS, right?

I tried moving the subs around the room a bit, although my placement options are few. They are currently stacked, and this gives me a best results (flater initail curve and more SPL). I tried to seperate them on each side of my display, and the curve went to heck. So they will remain stacked.

I'm sure I'll have a few more Questions related to using the SMS with my AVM as I play with it a bit more. Thanks for the comments.