Yes, mains will be set to large, in both Audyssey and hirez DVD BM. Here's what I'm thinking:
*2 channel (call it preset 1)
Normal SMS-1 EQ with crossover set around 40-50hz (normal rolloff of my mains)

* hirez multichannel (call it preset 2)
Since DVD player will have 80 hz fixed xover, setup EQ manually for 80hz crossover, taming the likely boosts and issues that such a high xover will produce, etc. Then turn off xover, leaving EQ,and set it as preset 2 (or whatever).

* movies, etc using Denon 4806 Audyssey EQ'd sound (preset 6; bypass mode) Reason here is I'm not sure I can ask Audyssey to EQ upper FR only, so I'll just let Audyssey do its thing. It'll be fine...it's only for DTS and Dolby Dig sources anyway.

Thoughts?

Final question of the night: I mentioned I'd send preamp's second set of stereo outs to SMS's l/r inputs, AND send Denon's sub out to LFE in. Now realize that the SMS "LFE in" is an XLR connection. question: since it will all be summed mono anyway, should I just y-connector my stereo preamp outputs to the SMS-1 thereby taking up only the left input, and then use the Denon's sub out for the right one? OR...connect the l/r normally then go buy an XLR-to-RCA cable and connect the Denon sub out to the XLR LFE in?

Thanks for all the help so far
Ted