Hi. First post. Just bought an SMS-1 from you guys and looking forward to it. I have a couple questions about its use in my system (s)...but first a background. I am a veteran HT and audiophile guy who has had a dedicated home theater since 1987 (15.25 x 22.9 x 10; Runco 110" HD, ceiling mounted pj, etc.)but has been a goofball when it comes to measuring and/or obtaining a decent bass response in it. Although I used ASC's Arnie Noxon's help when we built the house and room (ASC tube traps on coffered portion of ceiling, etc.) it's only in the past year that I've become serious about getting the room response settled down. I have RealTrap bass traps in the corners and on the back wall, and they've helped smooth the room out quite a bit, but that's a subjective/qualitative opinion..no measurements. Haven't spent the time and not sure I would do it right...hence the SMS-1 purchase.

I use the room for three separate uses:
A) dedicated 2 channel listening about 40-50% of the time (VMPS RM/X's, Modwright tubed stereo preamp with HT bypass, Modwright tubed modded redbook/SACD, etc.). I've invested in diffuser drapes and Roomlenses to help the soundstage and imaging, especially with a large screen in the middle of the front wall. Although the big RM/X's go down quite a ways, I have used subs (pair of Sunfire Truesubs) to augment their bass via a second set of stereo outs from the pre. I'd like to do that going forward I think (just bought VMPS Largers to replace Sunfires).
B) 5.1 hirez (DVD-A, SACD) multichannel music with all VMPS in the five ITU positions (surrounds are a bit outside of 120 degrees but who's counting); I want good bass response in this scenario, which is typically bass-light due to hirez universal player bass mgmt issues. My universal player has a 80 hz crossover (analog in). This setup is used 35% of time and, like c below, uses the clean HT bypass function of the stereo tubed pre to feed the front RM/X's.
C) 7.1 movie playback. In this scenario the system goes through a Denon 4806 with Audyssey Room EQ, and uses dipole surrounds on the sides and rears. LFE will be sent to the sub(s) as well as redirected bass from any "small" set speaker configs. (Note: Currently I have the subs connected to the Denon, but that means they aren't augmenting the RM/X's in 2 channel mode. This is planned to change with the SMS setup)

OK, so...that's it. I'm planning on sending the second set of stereo preamp outputs to the SMS-1 as well as the sub out (LFE from movies, below 80hz from mch music) from the Denon 4806. These will be summed and sent to at least two VMPS Larger subs (driven by Crown K2). The way I see it I have full-range stereo signal going to the SMS, as well as either LFE/redirected or 80hz/redirected bass. Argh.

Help!

My first goal is flat EQ'd room response for 2 channel listening, then mch listening. The movie stuff is great, but I don't really care cuz LFE is 120hz and below anyway and typically a more-is-better approach is ok with me. Sooooooo, I have this dilemna. I don't want the Audyssey Room EQ (which is only engaged when watching movies; mch music is in "bypass" mode with Denon; stereo listening doesn't even use the Denon) to override or muss up the SMS-1 EQ Do you think I ought to simply set up the SMS-1 cabling, put it in bypass mode initially, then Room EQ the room with the Denon Audyssey (like it is today)...then deal with the SMS-1 and stereo setup only? That way the room is smooth for 2 channel...what do I do when I introduce an 80HZ crossover coming from the universal player for mch hirez music? I'm not even sure of the questions to ask yet?
Thanks,
Ted B