I am still learning how to use the SMS-1 and its been a lot of fun so far, I'm enjoying it. I found it interesting to just move the mic around the room and try to get an idea of what my room itself was doing. I had one problem where I had a nasty dip in the response at about 35Hz and I diligently adjusted the settings to try and compensate. When I was done, I had adjustment bars at the top and bottom of the scale, it didn't look pretty. During these adjustments I had placed the mic in the center of the room on the coffee table. I found through testing that I must have placed my mic in a room null, a spot in the room where the 30-40Hz waves were hitting each other and canceling each other out to some degree. If I moved the mic out of the null I found I wouldn't have to apply as much compensation to get a flatter response. This did not remove the problem and I still had to adjust the SMS-1 to help with the 35Hz dip, but I didn’t have to use extreme settings to do it. As long as no one was going to listen to my system by lying down on the coffee table I should be OK. I also noted that if I were to stick the mic under my down-firing sub I would get a perfectly flat response.

What is your mic placement strategy or technique that works for you?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s