I started over with my set up. I went much more methodically thru it. I tried crossover points of 40,60,80,100 & 120 with both large and small for front speakers, small for center and surround. Each time switching the phase from 0-180 in 15deg steps with polarity + then polarity -. On one of the passes thru I decided to play with the phase on the 2 LFM-1s. I switched the phase on one of them to 180 from 0 and it did very little with the 25-35 htz peak I mentioned previously. I reset that sub to 0 and went to the other sub and switched it to 180. I just stood and stared, it had flattened the whole peak to the 80db level I had set for all speakers before the test. At that point I finished all settings that way and went back and redid the previous settings.
The settings I ended up with were mains large all others small and a crossover of 100 in 990. In the SMS-1 O phase, + polarity, (subsonic filter defaults to 21Hz and 48db/octave as Gonk suggested in his review/setup of his SMS-1).
The second best set up was at same speaker and sub settings but crossover of 120, phase 90deg and polarity + .
I was very interesting to watch the frequency curves change as adjustments were made. It helped understand how all the settings affect what you hear.
Someone in one of the threads mentioned taking a picture of the best curves on the OSD with a digital camera. This made It so much easier to compare which settings to start with.
My final curve before starting to make adjustments was + or - 3db which amazed me and obviously made further adjustments much easier.
I had printed Gonk's review/set up with his approach to the SMS-1 and It made the set up much smoother. I would highly recommend having this printed out to anyone installing the SMS-1 in their system.
I had very little time to listen last night but the higher crossover point and flat adjustment seemed to create one large sound. I really thought my speakers blended well with surround applied but the transition was quite dramatic.