because the processor in the auto setup isn't smart enough to recognize problems when EQ'ing your sub. in my situation the auto setup tried to boost to max(+6) in the lowest portions of the frequency curve while lowering the mid and upper range to almost -12. grantd i don't have a good sub at the moment...waiting on the new HSU VTF3-HO. there would have been a good chance that i would have damaged my sub had i not adjusted it.

what i would do is use a good quality set of RCA cables and backfeed from the sms to your 990 (into analog inputs). this allows the sms to generate test tones through your mains which allows you to see the frequency curve of your mains and your sub. you can mute the tones to your sub to see what your mains produce and then unmute to see what your mains and sub produce together. does that make sense? i'm a bit tired.

what i found is that most of my adjusting came in the mid range of the freq curve for my sub. so rather than having all 8 eq's spread out in areas that my sub either couldn't reproduce or were okay, i moved the eq's to areas of the freq range for my sub that needed the most help.

i hope that made sense. honestly, manual mode is where this product shines. you won't realize the full potential by using the auto setup.

i don't even think the manual covers moving the eq's within the freq range. i was goofing around and realized i could. by this i mean selecting an EQ, and then moving it to the left or right within the freq curve so that you can better correct peaks and valleys.

let me know if you have any further questions.
Outlaw 7100 not being used currently
Rocket 850's - Main
Rocket 200 - Center
Rocket 760's - Rears
twin rocket
ufw-12's - Sub
VTF3-HO with turbo
Dual BMF's on pre-order
Velodyne SMS-1