There has been a lot of discussion on this and other audio boards regarding room taming using products like the SMS-1. Other products mentioned include: tact, Behringer DEQ 2496, DCX2496, FBQ2496 feedback destroyer, and other parameteric equalizers. While the SMS-1 has gotten rave reviews, the others have also gotton wonderful writeups. Does anyone (outlaws?) have a comparison as to what the SMS-1 does different? better? same? I am interested as the some products like the SMS1 and the DCX really work only at the low frequencies, while others handle the full spectrum. Some are just equalizers (para, graphic or both) while others also change delays, phase, etc.
I know its better to first fix a rooms problems with positioning, materials, etc., but for now lets assume we have to do it electronically.

I guess I'd like to see a discussion as to the pros and cons of the various approaches. I have a DEQ2496 and have briefly played with it to tame some room problems, but it only works on 2 channels, in my case the mains (I have no sub).

So I'll pose the first questions. Is equalization enough to cure most problems, or do we need to include phase, delay, xover freq, etc. into the mix. Do we need to do all the speakers, or only the mains & Sub? Are there other parameters I am missing? Most relevent, what does the SMS-1 do that makes it work so well?