Speaker ideas:

1. European speakers (B&W Nautilus 804, KEF 203, Sonus Faber Grand Pianos, Vienna Acoustics Beethovens, Monitor Audio Gold Ref 60) all sound great and can be found for around $2-$2.5k/pr slightly used on audiogon.com compared to about $3.5/pr at the stores.

2. The Onyx Rockets (av123.com) are similar to those above but much cheaper being manufacturer to consumer direct.

3. I heard the RF7 vs Paradigm Studio 100 and Monitor Silver in an A/B/C test. The RF7's are more efficient, brighter, and more dynamic. The Monitor Audio Silvers were richer sounding than the Paradigms. I thought all three were very different.

4. The used Klipschorns will provide a sound much different than all the speakers above...much more bass, detailed highs, and can run on 3 watt tube amps. If you don't have the corners for the KHorns (~$2k/pr) then the LaScala, Belles, Cornwalls are other options for this sound although less bass. You can compare a Klipsch RF7 at the store to the speakers in 1 to see if you like the horn sound.

5. The Martin Logan electrostatic hybrids provide awesome detail but there seems to be less midbass and the off-axis imaging isn't very good.

6. http://www.axiomaudio.com/ seem like another popular value brand.

7. There are many sub $1500 monitor/bookshelf speakers with a great neutral audiophile sound.

8. It is unbelievable how many options there are in speakers.

I've found buying slightly used speakers--especially those models that have long lifes provide a great value. You can buy a pair on audiogon and then sell them later for the same price if you want to change.