speaking of gonk...

I have had very good luck with my Paradigm Reference speakers, and they do have in-wall speakers available. A Studio/CC, Studio/20 or Studio/40 mains, and some SA in-walls would be a nice system. The Studio/40's are bookshelf speakers, but they are on the large side for a bookshelf -- the Studio/20 is a bit smaller. Atlantic Tech would also be worth checking out, as already mentioned. According to something in their online FAQ , you may be able to "mix and match" a bit between their different speaker systems:

Quote:
Because of this you can and should consider mixing the individual speakers in our line to optimize system performance and room integration. You can even mix enclosure type speakers with our in-wall speakers with minimal sonic concern.

Another possibility is B&W - the Nautilus 805's would put a dent in your budget, but they are reportedly great bookshelf speakers.

As for the SVS (which I have and have been very pleased with), have you checked out Audio Envy yet to look for nearby SVS owners willing to demo their gear?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review