Well, Gonk and I are Paradigm men. Given the WAF, the studio 20's and Paradigms inwall speakers may be just up your alley.
They come in black, a natural cherry, and a red cherry finish (I've got the natural cherry finish in my apartment right now, and the look great with my hardwood floors.) You can check out the Paradigm website at www.paradigm.ca.

For the sub, I know SVS are the best bang for your buck...especialy since you may need 2 subs to realy make that large room sing. However getting the Mrs' acceptance on 2 black water heaters may be a little hard to do. Check out the PW2200, and just tell her to decorate them as end tables. I've demoed the PW2200 and it's an excellent sub that can be had for around $600. Not quite the performer as a SVS 16-46PCi that I've got sitting in my system right now...but it's very close. The nice thing about the PW2200 is that it's available in the same finishes as the Studio 20's, so having her "coordinate the furniture" may be a decent selling point/comprimise for some very fine audio gear.

Jason