David_W.

I hooked up my Surrounds and center channel to the amp last night. I have been playing signal through them since as the interconnects are brand new and require break in.

I can comment on 2.1 channel music. The 1070 is a fine receiver, it handled all functions well. When using it as a preamp it is flexible. My amp has twin Power supplies (toroids). That gives it an advantage, especially for reserves. The amp has more power (170W x 5. I was playing a live Led Zeppelin concert (Snow Jobs Vancouver 1975 SBD). I decided to turn up the volunme and I was amazed how John Henry Bonham was playing in my living room. The separate amp can play louder, sound fine at high volumes and that is expected.

Overall, I still find the HF to be better, the LF to be punchier, and tighter. I feel the SQ is more transprent. The music sounds betetr overall!

I have fallen asleep on my couch for 3 consecutive evenings, that's a first for me.

I would have to say that The 1070 feels cooler to the touchg since it the unit isn't driving the speakers.

When listening to DVDs , I still feel that SQ is compressed and I struggle with the center channel.

When playing older movies, esp Dolby 2.0, I use my modified Denon to decode movies so I hear better dialogue. Is my Center Channel (Ascend 340M (classic) not up to the task or is the 1070 lean sounding when decoding movies using the Crystal D/A's as opposed to the Burr Browns in the Denon?

Realize as I am not the typical HT type, I am an audiophile. When you have this disease it it is tough to be pleased.

The 1070 passes smy audiophile test for what it is. A receiver that can do it all till you move to separates.

Cd's esp original releases back in 80's suck! LP's rule big time over those. I do not use a turntable, I was never that meticulous.

Before I joined my old Audiophile club (I am no longer active though I am going to meeting tonight), I went to visit someone who plyed a 1st generation Sony CD player and then we played the same LP's on a Roksan Xerses turtable. The result was simple, the LP's sounded like music and the Cd's sounded like processed vomit.

Since that time there are remastered issues from the original labels using modern technicques, reissues by Steve Hoffman and MFSL.

Should you have an SACD player, I strongly urge you to look into SACD's. The SACD with it's DSD as opposed to PCM is really a quantam leap for most (not all) Discs I have listened too.

I will tell you I only had Pink Floyd DSOTM prior to my DVD player being modified. Now I have more and i want to get more yet there are not enogh titles available becuase teh stupid consumer market place is not demanding them, they get their bastart MP3's and stupid Itunes BS downloads. I cannot listen to Compressed music, It irritates me.

If the 1070 had a phono input and if i had a turntable, I feel confident the SQ would be fuller, more dimensional, more pleasing than most CD's.

Quote:
Originally posted by David_W:
Good grief... this thread seems to have sort of careened out of control smile

It's not my intent to offend anybody here... you all are a great bunch of guys! (and gals?? - are there any here??) But honestly, "wish-list" threads for audio products have always seemed silly to me. If any of the honchos at Outlaw get this far down in this topic, I'd be really interested to know how much attention they pay to these things.

Having said that... I agree with Gonk that full HDMI implementation is pretty much a must for all next-gen HT processors and receivers, from Outlaw or anybody else. And I must also agree that a bigger display on the 1070's successor would be welcome... H/K has nice big displays on even their lowest-priced models.

I must disagree with the several complaints about the 1070's DAC's. I actually like the sound of Cirrus DAC's and processors... even their cheap ones... it's kind of a "colder" sound than Burr-Brown and Wolfson. My personal favs have long been from Analog Devices, but I don't know if they even make DAC's anymore (?)

In any case, I have always found that the power supplies and analog portions of processors and amps make a bigger difference in sound quality anyway.

Alexandru - Gee, you seem to have a knack for describing what I hear in audio products, but can't quite describe myself. Your statement "the sweet midrange and full-bodied sound with the right dynamics" is *exactly* what I hear in the 1070, and that I don't hear in the competition. This is one sweet-sounding receiver that doesn't round-off or otherwise color the signal to get that sound.

Lizard King - Please continue posting about your new amp. It sounds like you're hearing the same improvements that I heard with the Emotiva, as compared to the 1070. I would use the 1070 as a pre/pro myself when I upgrade, except for one thing... my original reason for wanting to upgrade from the 1070 was to get rid of the darn bugs in the pre/pro section!

Videodrome - I have to say... I just don't understand why anybody still fiddles around with vinyl. Just too much hassle and expense to get it sounding right. The only phono cartridge I ever really liked (and this dates back like 20-30 years) was a kinda weird design from Decca, but half of 'em didn't work right out of the box, and the other half usually quit working after a month or two. Gotta love the Brits smile
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020