Outlaw Audio makes a receiver (the 1070) that is much better than it's MSRP which is our course, $899 direct from the company. Fact, the SQ for music when using the Analog inout in bypass mode with full analog bass MGT. is much better than 90% of the other receivers out there which cost even more $. The fact than you can use the 1070 and a full preamp and you have 4 digital coax and 4 digitial Toslink inputs! The setup is so easy, the unit decodes digital signals on the fly when using digital inputs (MOVIE soundtracks!)

IMHO, in order for Outlaw to keep the cost down, they do use lesser grade DACS that work well yet do not please the audiophile such as myself.

My high end Denon DVD 3930CI uses thhe Burr Brown PCM1796 current output 2 channel DACs to drive the stereo outputs. This means that you effectively have two DACs per channel. Ideally this provides lower noise and reduces nonlinearities and other unwanted transients in the output signal. I also have mine modified and mine sounds like a serious audiophile grade unit with no digital timing erros or that lean sound. I have full bass, depth, etc.

The 1070 uses less grade, crystal dacs (thanks Gonk for the info). I feel the SQ when listening to 2 channel music, esp SACD to be a lot better than most movies.

I did research and thanks again to Gonk for telling me that DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 are both compressed. I even spoke with someone at DTS to learn more about this once Gonk told me.

I have an amp that should arrive today from Fed Ex . I feel the sound Quality of DVDs when using the 1070 for most people is great yet for the dedicated audiophile, maybe not.

The amp should improve the SQ in many ways. Should I get into Blu-Ray (not HD-DVD), I will think about getting a new preamp that supports the full onboard decoding of the HD Audio formats all the way up to DTS master. Againg, In much talks with Gonk, I feel using a Sony PS3 that can decode these tracks hopefully with firmware upgrades. will work. I have too much Money, time and effort with my superb DVD that I do not want another player just for movies. At current, I have a Ps2 hooked up to the 1070 via an Outlaw PDO and that is a lot of fun. Have any of you played G-d of war or G-d of war2 in progressive mode?

Do I feel the 1070 is the final answer, I think not. Was the choice to get a 1070 as a entry path in HT and music playback for this audiophile, the answer is YES!

The 1070 when using a high end pair of speakers, sub and front end on the analog inputs really makes me pleased. The unit will pass what you put into it. If you put garbage in, expect garbage to be played through.

As far as allowing hardware upgrades to make available HDMI inputs and chipsets that have HD Audio ability, this will cuase Outlaw to increase the price way above the current set prices.

What I would like to see in the next Receiver and also the lower preamp from Outlaw is:

1). Improved SQ - Better Dacs, less Op amps.More power say 90 watts times 7 in the receiver.

2). More control over bass MGMT, esp analog, not default THX 80 Hz set. Also, allow 5 or 10HZ increments. This should alao be in the next 990.

3) Full support for HD Audio up to DTS master Audio with HDMI inputs up to current and hopefully future specs.

4) A feature that alows you to trim bass in the sub from rumbling like in Movies.

5) Better grade speaker posts and RCA female plugs, wire inside the unit, better grade Caps,etc.

6) Support for HD Radio: so I only need an antenna.

7) More analog inputs than just the One!
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020