David,

If you don't need HDMI or the new audio support, I would try to get a demo Arcam AVR250 unit. These should be available in the $1000 range. The sound quality should be up there, although oddly enough they don't have pre-amp outputs, so adding an external amp if your thirst for power isn't satisifed won't be possible.

I don't get a lot of 5.1 content from my satellite provider, in fact almost none...so I was recommending switching to analog, however you may be in a different situation.

I would also seriously consider looking at used receivers / separates as these should becoming plentiful with the next upgrade cycle.

BTW...please refrain from these type of comments:
Quote:
The DMR-1 did, however, just plain blow away the 1070 in terms of power. I'm not really talking here about how loud it could play, but rather how much crisper, tighter and dynamic the DMR-1 sounded even at low listening levels. If you'll pardon the expression, it sounded like it grabbed my speakers by the balls. The difference was quite dramatic, for both movies and music.
or else you're going to push me into upgrading my 1070 wink Say, what kind of speakers are you using out of curiosity?

-John