yeh, i really really like any of the pardigm lines...they sound sorta like my Rodgers, but at at least half the price. i recommend em all the time. i do also like the mirages at that price point. i solved my rear sourround space problem with the 10.1 QR maggie. it's only 10 inches wide! and it has the quasi-ribbon, too. i have little 'wings' at the rear of the room. room is 16ft. wide and they come out about a foot and a half to separate that room from the one i'm in now...i get great sound back here, also...from the front 1.6's. am about seven more feet behind the 'listening' couch. so the sofa back is pretty much the wall that seperates the two rooms. now if i only had a ten foot screen!
am selling next month...after 12 years of getting the room 'just so'.
anyway...maggie now makes a wall mount system (cept for the center, i think) that is close to this budget...if not look at their $550pr. mini mags...with the ribbon now! (i think). the 10.1's were dicontinued a few years ago which is a shame. they were made to use as a 3 piece, sub/sat...they brick wall anything below 80 hz....which is purr-fect for rear surrounds!
you can sometimes find em used and maggie or a dealer can re-furb em. i talked a friend from england into a re-fabbed older pair at a dealers in iowa...without the ribbons...for 450; he still loves em. i sold maggies & others many years ago...sold a lotta that one...paired with a h-k reciever usually...and thorens table..koetsu cartridge...they all returned to thank me for what they were now hearing.
and now they got ribbons..there's a larger model for about $950...the magic number! and the wall hangin ones at ...i don't know what they're priced at.
that and a good servo controlled sub...and you can be in nirvana tonite!
and oh yeh...the velodyne is a good place to look. haven't got one..but they and M & K kinda pioneered that whole area! first velo we demoed...would squawk keeping up with the c-j valve pushing the maggies or time windows...the rep popped it open (outboard control/amp) and made an on board adjustment...problem solved...i think it was celestions SL-6's over the sota table. ...and the owner wouldn't stock em..cause??? i don't know why! (too many accoustat subs lying around nobody wanted,i think)
silly man. he went outa business, too! and we was the on-liest dealer of adcom for many states around. long live rock n roll...

[This message has been edited by thigg (edited February 23, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by thigg (edited February 23, 2003).]