I received my 1070 a few weeks ago. I'm still tweaking a few things here and there, but was surprised when I watched the HDTV version of the Sopranos on HBO last night. It's broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1, but the 1070 only picked up a 2.1 signal, which left the surrounds cold and unused.

I have the 1070 connected to my Comcast HD box via an optical cable, so I don't think that's an issue. I could hear the show just fine through my left, center and right front speakers, but nothing at all from the surrounds.

I went back later and confirmed via the internal test tones that my surround speakers are connected and working properly and double-checked them with a test DVD. No problems with DVD, just with HD CATV.

Any suggestions? I checked the cable box user settings menu under Audio Settings. I can select mono, stereo or matrix. I tried all three and didn't notice any difference at all (even, surprisingly, between mono and stereo).

[Side note: The front panel of the 1070 briefly showed "3/2.1" where the volume level is usually displayed, underneath "Dolby Dig." I suppose this is where the 1070 shows what kind of signal it is receiving. What does the "3" mean? And how do I get that display back after the volume level reappears?]