Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty:
Quote:
Quite to the contrary it's obvious some consumers will be influenced by things that barely matter, as evidenced by this thread
Nice...very mature charlie.

Walter,

I'm in a similar quandry as yourself, although unfortuantely am not it the position to benefit from the majority of the many fine features that make the 1070 unique at its' price point, such as DVI switching and lip-sync management (which I agree, is by far the most usable I've read about). So...I'm left in the position of evaluating it based on ability to perform essentially as a 5.1 and stereo receiver. In that regard, its' flexible feature set isn't quite as important as its' stereo capability. Additionally, being in Canada, the cost of shipping one up for a 30-day demo is also quite prohibitive.

Would you mind mentioning the other units that you've demoed and your impressions of them? In paticular have you listened to either of the NAD T753/T763 models, Arcam or any of the Pioneer Elite models?

Smitty
I am new to this forum, so let me start by saying this. I am in search of either a receiver that is "different" from mass market stuff, or I am going back to separates. I have changed equipment several times in the past year to know that nothing has pleased me. I have owned the NAD 762, Marantz SR 8400 ad the Pioneer Elite 74 TXVi. The NAD was great in power, but the sound was way too subdued for me. The Marantz had a great power supply and plenty of power, but home theater was not too convincing. The Pioneer had very good home theater effects, but I could not get past the cheesy... and I mean "cheesy" parts inside the unit. It had great potential as far as features go. Imagine what they could do if they offered all those features with a Toroidal and about 80,000 microfarads of filter capacitance? Anyway, they all went back, and I am borrowing a Harman Kardon 240 receiver, just temporairly. Decent sound, but not for me.

I am intrigued by the 1070 but am concerned about the power. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the 65 watts, if it won't get stressed by tough loads. If I ever wanted to hook it up to inefficent speakers,at loud volumes, it would run out of steam. I am speaking about speakers that can dip into 4 and 3 ohms. So this is my dilemma. I've heard the receivers mentioned earlier and have not found the balance that I am looking for. Would the multi channel separates setup provide more performance than the 1070? Maybe I should just give the 30 day trial a try.

PS. I did also listen to the Arcam AVR300 for a week, and although it was very impressive for home theater and music, I thought it was overpriced at $ 2000. Just my take on things.

Nick