Quote:
Originally posted by brubacca:
Things brings up an interesting observation. I recently got one of those fancy power filters. I have all my devices through it. I can look at what the current draw is on the components. In my admitedly small Room I only draw 1.7 amps on the whole 5 channel amplifier during the lobby shooting scene in The Matrix. That was the peak! Watts = Resistance x Current^2.. Assuming that my speakers are 8 ohm nominal that formula comes out to 23 Watts, Total on the Amplifier. That means this blistering loud scene drew less than 5 Watts Per Channel. My room is 12ft x 14 ft, and my speakers are set to small. I would have to say that 65W per channel would be more than adequate in my size room.

Moral of the story. 65W should be plenty of power unless you are driving huge inefficient speakers in Big rooms.

Regards,

Charlie
Actually the draw was 1.7 amps at a nominal 120 volts. About 200 watts consumed, but amps are nowhere near 100% efficient, and on the other hand, the amp power supply would prevent the line conditioner from seeing the real short term peaks.

Nutshell: Your test doesn't mean what you think it means, but it's interesting.