T-Bone,

Not sure... I'm going to switch the unit to 8ohms instead of 4 per instructions from Outlaw based on the amount of ventilation I have for the 1070. Even though I used the SPL meter to adjust the system with the reference tones, I didn't have it out during my subjective listening. Guess I'll do that this time to get some better information. However, I know that in my listening position, I can play the music videos on both "A Walk to Remember" and "SpiderMan" at full volume with the 1070... but can only get to about -15 on my Yamaha RX-V630 (75Wx6 - which maxes out at 0) and the Yamaha is noticeably louder... and the clarity, imaging, etc. is equal - so I'm not pushing the Yamaha to distortion to get "loudness." I also watched Jurassic Park with both receivers and to get what I would call "reference level" (again, no SPL to confirm - shame on me) with the 1070... I had the volume at -2 to +1 (in that range) and noticed some harshness to the voices - perhaps due to the high volume level... yet was able to stay at -15 on the 630 with no discernable harshness and equal if not greater volume level in the room.

I've double & triple checked all the settings for input trim (set to 0), channel trim (bumped per previous notes to get my reference tones to about 73dB at 0 volume), surround mode, bass & treble trim (both at 0)... I've used the same player, with the same optical interface and the same DVDs for my tests... the mystery continues.

Walter