Quote:
Keep in mind that an internal test tone is not the same as source material - the goal of those test tones is to be at 75dB with the volume at "reference" level of around 0dB. Those tones are not meant to achieve window-rattling 100dB levels.
gonk, I understand the purpose of the internal test tones. My point was that there have been several posts (not all in the Saloon) about having to use a +10dB setting and not reaching 75dB or even 70dB. In my mind, you should never have to turn the volume to it's maximum setting --- and if you do, and still haven't achieved a 75dB reading it's worrisome unless you have unusually inefficient speakers.

60wpc x 7 with a subwoofer is perfectly fine for HT. However, IHMO, 69w x 2 is not fine for two-channel stereo listening at a $900 price tag. As the reviewer said:
Quote:
Its power output is specified at 65 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms, all channels driven. That is not a lot of power, but when you are listening to seven channels while watching movies, that is a lot different than just listening to two-channel stereo with 65 watts per channel
Times have changed in the past few years and as curegeorg says there are quality receivers out there in the $900 price range. It's a different league than the $500 receiver market of five years ago. Dismissing all the other "100 wpc" receivers would be underestimating the enemy eek