Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty:
Certainly there are other important aspects of a receiver. But all else being equal, more power is better.
All else is seldom if ever equal. Something has to give and I'm generally pleased with the economic and marketing choices Outlaw makes. If I were in the market for a AV receiver I'd look closely at the 1070, as I was generally pleased with the 1050 and the 1070 promises to be a major improvement in usability.

I've had a several amps in the 60-80 WPC range and I honestly never ran them out of steam except in "let's see what she'll do" situations, or when driving inefficient speakers. To hear much difference I had to go to a Carver m1.5t, about 10x more power. even a 200 watt amp was just barely different volume wise.

Obviously the huge bass content of HT changes this somewhat, but then, that's what sub-woofers are for. Given a system with a good powered sub, I have trouble imagining the 1070 running out of power in real listening.

As for the review ....

If you read his other reviews he's fair at least. The Sunfire Pre-Pro got nicked for 1' delay increments, for instance. I do think his rating system is a bit unimaginative; Sort of a "if some is good, more is better" approach rather than thinking about or evaluating creative solutions to common HT problems. Thus things like the bass management get marked down when in reality the 1070 has stellar BM features for a receiver.