Richard, I just joined the bulletin board, so if I do this wrong, have patience...
As to your search for new speakers, I have just listened to the Paradigm studio 100's, and the B&W CDM 9's. The paradigm's sound great, and have received every accolade known to man, but the B&W's sound even better, especially in the high end. However, if you don't want to spend two grand or more, and if you want to purchase over the internet, take a look at Axiom Audio (axiomaudio.com), a small loudspeaker manufacturer in Canada who is also receiving rave reviews for producing audiophile quality sound at below-budget prices! They have both stand-mounted monitors and larger floor-standing speakers, as well as center, surrounds and subwoofers. An entire home theater complement can be had for less than the price of either the above-mentioned Paradigms or B&W's, with little compromise in sound quality for either music or movies! I was impressed. As for me, I still have some old N.E.A.R. ME-60's whose sound I'm having a hard time duplicating for under $3,000. (The $2,600 B&W's have come the closest so far.) I want to build a complete theater with matching speakers, but sadly, N.E.A.R. no longer exists. Hence, the reason for my current speaker auditions.