Quote:
Originally posted by mdrconsult:
Well, Altec, I would agree with you if you were right, but you're not, so I won't! Data is a term that is used to generically refer to a piece and/or a group of information. The way in which the information is represented can take on many forms and it is certainly not limited to "digital" as its only form.

So what I will do is agree to disagree. laugh
Context is the key. In talking about the signal which comes out of a piece of audio equipment, if it is digital in form, such as an S/PDIF stream, then the correct term is data.

In the 30 years I've been working as an audio engineer, I've never heard the term "data" applied to analog signals by any engineer - ever. I've worked for some of the major manufacturers of audio gear, both professional and consumer (including the one which designed and built your Outlaw amplifier). Never have I heard the term "data" applied to an analog signal by the engineering departments of any of those companies.

The terms you used way-back-when obviously had bearing on what you were doing, and the usage had meaning to your group, but it is not the commonly used term in audio design circles now.

If I used that term at any company I've worked for when describing the output from, say, a power amplifier, they would look at me like I was crazy. If, when I was doing sound design and music recording/editing for feature films I called the analog signals for music, dialog and sound effects "data", rather than the correct terms music, dialog or sound effects tracks or stems, I'd probably be kicked off the dubbing stage!

Different fields use different conventions and terms, often to describe the same parameter. Forcing the conventions of scientific research and data gathering onto another field such as consumer audio is a mistake.