Quote:
Originally posted by psyprof1:
For someone in your enviable position (not me alas) the significant factor might be your listening tastes. I don't know how important the near subsonic is for HT experience, but the only musical instrument that produces sound in the range that the LFM-1EX can cover more than the LFM-2 is the pipe organ. So if you're a pipe organ fancier - I am - the choice becomes obvious. I have also heard, but by word only, that reproducing capability below 30 Hz can give a more convincing sense of the size of the recording venue. Of course if you're mostly into HT little of this matters.
One other point: it's said that hearing is nondirectional in the bass, but I'm still more comfortable with a stereo system that keeps the two channels separate all the way down. That means using two LFM-2's as long as each gets its own signal in stereo.
I'm a big proponent of using subs in stereo, and have recorded pipe organs with 32 foot ranks to specifically display the benefits in realism provided by this setup. Any recordings which use simple, "purist" microphone techniques, especially those which use spaced omni-directional mics, will have the capability to contain significant low frequency ambience cues.

I used to have a thread here discussing stereo subwoofers, but if it can't be found, here is another place where it can be accessed.

Stereo Subwoofers