The Def Tech's are extremely heavy for such little things, All the guys who picked up a speaker were surprised at the weight to size ratio.
Soooo...I'm at least one step above Bose..
For what they are I'm happy with them and would recomend them when looking for that 'sized' speaker.

The bass has not really been a prob. (running a sub with them) with the crossovers set right they do handle the HT well. You are correct I started to buy a SW for the husband to suppliment his HT experince, and ended up with the set. So the leaning was heavy towards HT on this purchase. I've found the highs to have decent clarity in these, (this coming from a newbie just starting to pay attention) however they seemed harsh i the highs the first weeks. The harshness seems to have settled down, and on most recordings do not seem to display that tendency as much, I don't know how much of the early tweaking I did affected this or if there is something to 'burn in'.
If and when I upgrade, I'm the sort that looks at many angles, and one angle for me (on a major speaker purchase) would be the quality of the build as relates to longivty and would they have to be carefully monitered to prevent damage, or can I just relax and play the music.