LEAD UP: Whilst sitting listening to Donnie Darko for the umpteenth time. I realized at a higher dB, - I was getting, (she faints dead away) vibration out of the fronts. My husband thinks both fronts, I think it’s only in the FR, with the effect bouncing into the FL corner a hair. These are bracket hung from the ceiling, and the FR has Attic egress and stuff stored all over (right above it). There was a son up there digging for camping gear last week. I’m getting a sensation more of a rattle/vibration as if the energy the speaker is dissipating is starting a resonance that is moving something actually in the attic. Because I am so sick (poor me) this week I’m not going up to check it out till next week, and the Hus. Is too busy.
How can I describe my husband fairly, HES NO HELP AT ALL RIGHT NOW.
I can sympathize with the stories I see clustered around the forums of wives whose eyes glaze over when a husband talks AV. Mine supports me, is proud of me, BUT, he’s in the middle of a couple of major ongoing projects for the foreseeable future, and he’ tired of me talking AV. At first I was ‘cute’ when I picked his brain in the begging for things I was just grasping, and now as I’m beginning to discuss the latest Surround Format’s currently available etc, (things he has not kept up with for years)…his eyes are rolling back. I’m not an unintelligent wife, so I just let him play in own space, (while I play in mine) and understand that he’s flat not interested at the moment. His favorite phrase is ‘You’re doing the research - whatever you want to do” at the moment. He has little flashes, when the 950/770 shipped in he grabbed the box (or practically ripped them out of my hands), and set them up himself the first time, relegating me to the setup manual menu’s, and when I came home with the Panamx and left for a few minutes, he hooked that up too. (Wrong, as far as sequencing power up).

It seems you are looking for a high sensitivity speaker that sounds good and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Yes and No. My first purchase before I had traveled much distance down this road has kept me purposely ignoring threads on speakers up till now. Mine are not even a year old and have so/so sensitivity. If memory serves 89 on all with 91 on the center. I have no business messing with an upgrade like this for a while. BUT - I have that niggely urge growing. What would towers (at least on FR/FL) better speakers sound like? Little boxes? Oh why oh why did I care about LITTLE boxes and hang them out of the way. What would ear-level fronts sound like?

IF, I capitulate into this (because a rattle set me off) I MIGHT spend a lot? (relative to what else is going on when I do it). And if I spend a lot, I wondered what specs I could watch out for, which would be indicative of build quality as regards greater leeway to ‘take whatever is thrown at them’.

I live in the real world of teenage idiots, who pop in DVD’s and (their own CD’s on rare occasions). And I’m tired of teenagers ruining EVERYTHING they touch. Therefore what they can take is of equal importance to sound quality, at this stage of evolution in my household.

That clear things up any more - didn't think so... Jason my brain is fogged with a cold. I promise to reread 5 times then do a search to look up definitions and related terms. And try to get it in my own dim way, in the next weeks. However, if you had a high-energy 300Hz tone, the harmonics may end up having lots of energy in them. That one got me, I’ll have to look up Fourier I know I don’t have odd/even harmonics down etc. The sum energy of each of the harmonics added together exceeds?

in a fairly large room. No it’s tiny, but we like our HT experiences at Theater reference dB’s at times.
And I personally have been known to crank a CD or two when alone.

SPL=106. I think stating this is living more dangerously than watching Donnie Darko don’t you Smart Little Lena? I’ve never heard of anything other than horns listed at that level and surely BOSE does not make those? Have to look at that PR. Sounds like a ‘tangent universe’ to me. You brought up a problem I may be experiencing - the 770 may be a little much for these satelite level speakers. I always understood underpowered to be more of a risk than over powered. I believe they are in spec range to the amp, (just not possibly at the dB we force them to) but as I noted on another topic I have not learned how manufactures ‘fudge’ and weight these things and when and where you need to be skeptical.

especially those models using Kevlar drivers Funny Man!. Do they make those in the Mae West versions similar to female Swat officer issue? If they use space age ceramics/plastics, why not!. Maybe I’ll take Jason up and DIY a kevlar something or other. I have a friend whose an Officer maybe he wouldn't mind me nipping out little sections of his vest for a go at some experimental fabrication.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited October 23, 2002).]