Thanks Jason!
Basically, you end up suppressing loud peaks. Compression is actually a good thing for your speakers, keeping them from the nasty clipped signals. To your ears, it's not such a great thing, as it can substantially mess with the sound.

I thought I saved it in favorites but am not spotting it. The article I read suggested that the speaker manuf. are geared towards compression on the lower frequencies as this is what draws the most energy. However the reason tweeters blow more often is that net effect of compression when geared towards lower frequencies allows the higher frequencies to increase too close to the cutoff (the top and bottom of a very square sine wave charted during clipping) allowing those frenquecies too much uncontrolled range at higher dB. (I’m making a mess of wording this don’t know the proper jargon.)

Reality is that it is a bunch of really high frequencies laid on top of the original
splain please? Or know the way to a good link regarding?
Oddly enough, using a really big amp that puts out more power than your speakers are rated for isn't necessarily a bad thing. 770
Just make sure you use self restraint. Ummmm, I believe that might be becoming a problem around here particularly with satellite class speakers.

pro sound speakers, in which case you could hold a rock concert in your living room with complete peace of mind. Wouldn’t that be…. love…a…lee…