What specs would you look for and compare between products if your second top weighted criteria (beyond sound) for the purchase were speakers which would have less of a tendency to overreach (self-destruct or blow) no matter what was thrown at them. I see a lot of comparison between the ‘voices’ of speakers but not their sensitivity to being turned into a audible room vibrator effects machine.

I’m not referring to frequency range specs here although I know that frequency range affects the life of speakers if they are subjected regularly to frequency’s beyond their built-in capabilities.
I just read an interesting article (taken with a grain of salt) as it was produced by amp manufactory with some sort of individual controls for limiting each channel. That speaker manuf. build assuming that greater energy is demanded by lower frequencies and the clip rate that occurs at lower frequencies puts a ceiling on hard the tweeters will ever be pushed. The article put forth the question then why do tweeters blow more often and went on the discuss how modern amps handle and reduce the horrific effects of clipping to a point where the listener is often not even aware clipping is occurring. Then related the idea that ‘compression’ actually results in blown tweeters.

It got me to thinking…I know the component parts of a speaker, - the quality of the wire in tweeter coils as regarding its ability to dissipate heat and so forth…will directly affect the life span of the speaker.

How do you shop and what do you look for in speaker build, when this is a concern?

This is a new arena I want to research as time allows as I am already toying (bad girl) with the idea of a speaker upgrade, (at least across the fronts).
In addition what are the audible sound characteristics of clipping Vs distortion?
Did a web search on this topic and ran into unrelated subject matter.

Any thoughts?