Altec,
I still do not understand why you pointed out your point of parallel the outputs of 2 pwer amplifiers" if it has nothing to do with what I would do. Please explain in layman term. I am no electrician. Excuse me ignorance. Thank you.

In my thinking, hooking up 2 dvd players' 7.1 analog output cables,using the Y-cable splitters, and contact to the same 7.1 analog input ports of 990 (i.e. sharing 990's single 7.1 analog inputs by 2 dvd players), shall not be a problem, as long as I do NOT play both dvd players at same time with the 7.1 analog outputs.
Besides, The 990 has selection of which 7.1 analog input which dvd player per pre-allocation (i.e. video 1 for first player & video 2 for second dvd player respectively). In this case 990 will never take in 2 analog outputs from both players at same time and send them to the power amp. Even 990 mistakenly send both analog signals from both players to the power amp (which I do not think it will happen), the power amp will shut down itself if the input signals are not "safe" to the power amp itself.
I buy your point that to play safe, by unplug 1 set of the 7.1 analog cable from the Y spliter when using the other 7.1 cables, which is combersome. That's why I prefer permanent hooking up if my thinking is right.

What is your furher expectised opinion.

Gonk, Scott and other outlaw memembers - well come to add in your comments. Thank you all.

Kwok