Quote:
Originally posted by audvid:
Strindl, I've been listening to music via USB from a laptop for a number of months and haven't been disappointed. Earlier comparisons between a CD carousel connected via toslink to my 990 and the laptop connected to the 990 via USB didn't show any glaring differences. I'd leave the room, ask my wife to turn one or the other on, then I'd come back into the room and listen. I did this for a number of favorite songs and I couldn't really tell the difference.

My laptop doesn't offer toslink or coax so I couldn't make that comparison.

There was an article in last months Absolute Sound regarding DACs and USB input. He wasn't too thrilled with the sound when USB was used, but he also thought there was a difference in the sound delivered depending on the USB cable maker. This seemed a little "out there". Either the ones and zeros arrive or they don't. But that's probably a debate for another thread. (There's actually a manufacturer out there that makes a USB cable that costs $500).
I read that absolute sound piece, but never having tried usb audio myself, I didn't know what to think of it.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP