Lizard King,

Just be prepared to upgrade the rear and center with VTLs. I think you will be quite pleased and surprised by the difference what the VTLs can do for your front mains. Using tube power in the fronts vs. solid state power in the other channels will produce a difference in tonality, especially if you start changing out tubes like I did. Home theater purists will tell you that the power supplies for each channel sound be the same as well as the speakers. I ended up purchasing enough tube buffers to connect to all of my 5.1 channels for that tube warmth all around. The route I took gave me the closest to having a tube home theater preamp with a solid state power amp, which for my Magnepans are a better match vs. solid state home theater preamp and tube power amp. Your Alons should work much better with the Outlaw/VTL combo than my Magnepans. Don't forget to purchase a set of Herbie's Audio Lab tube dampers. They make quite a bit of difference in the noise floor and detail for the VTLs. The tube dampers help to eliminate the microphonics present in the tubes which can muddy the sound. Good luck, and let us know how it sounds.

Slbenz