Now I am confused. I have the sub level set perfect in upsample but if I go to a dvd 5.1 music concert, the sub is over powering and I need to cut it back about 6 or 7db. The offset will only cut back the sub level when I return to upsample, not increase it right??

I refrained for going back to recommend you set up from the beginning as Gonk said, but that is the best (he always knows best!). Set up completely for multichannel, get the sub level set well for a few disks. Then set the 2-ch sub offset for CDs in upsample.

But I think the answer to your question is yes, BUT... The offset only changes the sub level for 2-channel (stereo/upsample), BUT it is relative to however you have the main sub level set in the main multichannel calibration. So if the main one is too high (which you indicate is the case for DVDs) then you need too large a negative offset for CDs to sound good. If you set the 2-ch offset to 0 dB and then compensated in the main multichannel sub level by turning it down 6 or 7 dB from wherever it is set now, it sound like both CDs and DVDs might both be OK. As you suspect most people here find once the sub level is set for 5.1, they need to back off the 2-ch offset by a couple of dB for 2-channel CDs.