Thanks for the good info Mr. Gonk. It makes sense with my experience with the older processors and matrix selection. It explains why(at least to me) when I did engage the matrix on the old Denons it somewhat gave a "blanket" response to even the "es' flagged discs..Or in other words, this 990 matrix mode really rocks! Of course, so does the neo/6...much better(as you have explained) than the old style. I didn't get excited about 'es' discs like I did discrete because the 'es' discs and the old matrix modes weren't that much better than plain 'ol 5.1, if at all. The 990 matrix is much more akin to 6.1 in the soundfield/presentation and does a fine job of fleshing out the soundtrack..O.K. This means I can go get some more 'es' movies and play with much joy! Heck, I believe there are more 'es' encoded discs than 6.1 discretes. The 990 now has me really looking forward to getting more of these movies that I kind of passed over before. BTW, have you(you must have!) tried any of these discs in matrix mode?? I remeber you posted you might have one in your collection and I'm wondering if you ever dug it out and gave it a spin....Happy Mothers day to all forum member mothers(and especially to your's Gonkster man!) Have a great weekend!