Hello to all. I'm not much of a forum guy, but its gotten to the point that to get some information, I needed to ask some questions.
I've got mostly tube equipment and like to keep using them. I listen to music through the tube preamps and have the tube power amps all the time for surround. I am using a Yamaha 740 as the pre for the HT setup. Its got a problem-6 years without a problem-but now one of the main channels is lower than the other(6 db lower) and its time for a change anyway. I've always had separates along the way since the late 60's. I switched to tubes about 8 years ago, giving my last set of SS amps (SAE 502) to each of our kids and sold the most of my stuff on ebay.
I read a lot of the comments and tried looking at the equipment most of the members have to get an idea of how someone with tubes would like the 990 pre. I have seen just one member that has tubes.
I read that the 990 is transparent. Is it transparent compared to what ? How does it compare to the older or newer tube pres ? Does it compare close to the sound of a passive in direct mode ?
I'm looking to get a replacement for the Yamaha that I can like in stereo also. I've listen to the AVM 30 a year or so back and couldn't see spending the 3 grand on it. I spent several hours with the AVP700 yesterday and its a good pre, and I'll be getting it for a better price than the used prices on the net, but its very laid back with hardly any of the tubes sound.
I'd like the idea of a company here selling something I want so its a step toward Outlaw. I don't like reading about Mr. OTTO's, and others it seems, problem with the bass management . Is it wide spread with all the pre's and no one has noticed?
I rely on customer feed back 95% , magazine and dealer .5% and the wife's 100%. :^)
I'd really like all the feed back you can give. I need it. The 30 day return is a nice program, I'm not one that can do that easily. I'd rather have done all the hashing up front.

thanks healy6er ('60 big healy 8)
Cit 1
Cit V
Scott 130
Scott 399
HF-22s
Cabasse Egea II s
ADS L560s
AR-5s
B&K